Chilly temperatures have arrived in the New England area, which inevitably brings the start of the cold and flu season. This year, the Farmer’s Almanac has already predicted that we are in for a bitter winter with “lots of snow.”
For a commercial facility like an executive office space or medical facility that is occupied by a large number of people, it is important to take extra precautions as we approach the cold and flu season. It has been reported that health-related work losses are estimated to cost more than $260 billion for businesses each year, so it is in your company’s best interest to be proactive and consistent with cleaning. Since the majority of workers spend most of their day indoors, the first thing to focus on is to minimize the spread of common colds and the flu.
Prevent the spread of diseases in the workplace with the following:
- Encourage everyone to get vaccinated. Prevention is the best cure and the best way to minimize sickness, especially in large commercial facilities. The CDC offers information about the 2018-2019 flu season and the available vaccinations online.
- Focus on high-touch areas. Door knobs, office phones, faucets, and keyboards are areas that employees can come into contact with a high number of germs. Cleaning and disinfecting these shared areas frequently is key to minimizing the spread of germs from person to person.
- Encourage people to stay home when sick. All it takes is one sick person to pass their illness onto the rest of the office. Encourage those who are feeling unwell to stay home, and if necessary, call in for meetings and other obligations that cannot be missed.
- Improve indoor air quality. The air you breathe in at the office is recirculated all day through the HVAC system and can lead to a variety of health issues. Make sure your HVAC systems have undergone maintenance and thorough cleaning to minimize dust, debris, and other contaminants that could be released into the air.
- Remind staff of hand washing. Preventing germs from entering the body is the last sure defense to the spread of disease, so make sure there are ample hand-washing or hand-sanitizing stations throughout the facility.
It’s no surprise that sickness in the workplace affects worker productivity, so getting professional help with the cleaning of your commercial facility is guaranteed to help prevent the spread of diseases this season. New England Cleaning Services, Inc. is a local, family-operated commercial cleaning business with 40 years of experience in the eastern Massachusetts area (greater Boston area, Metro West Boston, North Shore, South Shore, Woburn).
From general cleanings, specialized controlled environment cleanings, and emergency and restorations, we offer a wide variety of cleaning services to our clients. Our 24/7 client support guarantees that whatever cleaning needs your business has, our highly-trained cleaning professionals are there to respond. Contact our Waltham, MA office at (781)890-2000 for a quote today, or visit our website for more information!