This winter’s flu season is proving to be one of the worst as the virus is spreading quickly across the New England area. According to the Center for Disease Control, this year’s H3N2 strain started earlier than previous years and is resulting in more severe cases, especially among the older population. Massachusetts continues to see rises in the number of confirmed flu cases, as well as number of hospitalizations and deaths, so staying healthy and away from this year’s flu should be a priority for everyone.
People spend the majority of their days in the workplace, so having healthy habits especially at work can help to prevent the spread of illnesses and germs. Enforce these following:
- Hand washing: We hear this and know this, but it is one of the most important ways to prevent the spread of diseases. Always have plenty of antibacterial soap and hand sanitizers available throughout your workplace.
- Minimizing contact: The workplace can be a place of comfort and friendship, but you may want to avoid the hugs, friendly pecks on the cheek, and other forms of affection for your coworkers while flu season is rampant.
- Covering mouths: Your mouth is a big gateway for germs to get out in the form of sneezes, coughs, burps, even singing. Reminding workers to cough and sneeze into elbows can be one step in the right direction for minimizing contact with harmful germs.
- Staying home when sick: Even if you have a work deadline or important meeting, it is not worth exposing everyone to the potentially devastating symptoms of the flu. Remind everyone to stay home until at least 24 hours after a fever is gone.
- Keeping workplace clean: This is where a certified commercial cleaning company like New England Cleaning Services, Inc. comes in. Having clean surfaces, floors, shared areas and other areas regularly cleaned, disinfected and maintained by cleaning professionals decreases your chances of catching the flu or other disease. The benefit of using an experienced company like NECS is that we have the properly trained staff to keep everyone safe, as well as the technologies and equipment to effectively address the space of your commercial facility.
Keeping your workplace safe should be a top priority this flu season. Set up general cleanings today to make sure you’re doing everything you can to keep everyone healthy! For high quality cleaning in the eastern Massachusetts area, contact our Waltham office at (781) 890-2000 for a free estimate! The facilities we serve include executive office spaces, manufacturing and production facilities, medical facilities, and controlled environments.